I haven’t traveled that much. However, I’m so looking forward to travel more often, and since I am still a college student with limited budget I prefer to travel on budget. Two months ago, I went to Singapore and had some kind of a roller-coaster-experience. That was also my first trip with only a backpack to carry. As a person who lives in Indonesia, I pretty much think that Singapore is the best place to start a backpacking trip for beginners. Here are why I think so.
- The location. The flight ticket from Indonesia to Singapore is not that expensive. There are many budget airlines that do a promo for this destination. You can even go there by boat from Batam which costs less than IDR 200K.
- The size of the country. Singapore is not that big, so you quite can get the sense of it. Its city is also very walk-able. The sidewalks are great. You can get one area to other areas by walking, so you don’t have to spend so much on public transportation. Walking down the streets while enjoying the view of the city can give you a great feeling.
- Good transportation system. Singapore has a pretty good and organized transportation system. They have MRT and buses that can get you around the city. It’s a good first step to learn the way they are run before going to Europe or other countries that have similar transportation system.
- Affordable hostels. For accommodation, you don’t have to worry. There are many affordable hostels in many different locations. You just need to choose. Many of them have websites, so you can book them online.
- They speak English/Singlish. Yup, for you who want to practice your English, Singapore is a good place to start. The locals mostly speak in English with Singaporean accent, of course. Plus, there are many foreign tourists there.
- It’s super safe. Singapore’s criminal rate is not even 1%. There is barely no policemen in the streets. My friend who is a local Singapore once told me that there’s no worry to walk around at night because it’s so safe. So, yeah, there’s no worry if you get lost, you will find a way to go back.